Author: Crowley, A.
Book title: Magick Liber ABA Book Four Parts I-IV
Publication date: 1997
Edition: 2nd ed.
Location: (1997). Magick Liber ABA Book Four Parts I-IV (2nd ed.). York Beach:, York Beach
Publisher: Samuel Weiser, Inc.
Description: Crowley describes the Creative Magical Word and how it relates to his curriculum for magicians.
The essential characteristic of the Grade [of Magus] is that its possessor utters a Creative Magical Word1, which transforms the planet on which He lives by the installation of new officers to preside over its initiation.
The Adept must prepare and publish a thesis setting forth His knowledge of the Universe, and his proposals for its welfare and progress. He will thus be known as the leader of a school of thought.
To attain the Grade of Magister Templi, he must perform Two Tasks: the emancipation from Thought by putting each idea against its opposite, and refusing to prefer either; and the consecration of himself as a pure vehicle for the influence of the Order to which he aspires.2
Should [the Adept] fail, by Will or by weakness, to make his self-annihilation absolute, he is nonetheless thrust forth into the Abyss3; but instead of being received and reconstructed in the Third Order, as a Babe in the womb of Our Lady BABALON4, under the Night of PAN, to grow up to be Himself wholly and truly as He was not previously, he remains in the Abyss, secreting his elements round his Ego5 as if isolated from the Universe, and becomes what is called a “Black Brother.” Such a being is gradually disintegrated from lack of nourishment, and the slow but certain action of the attraction of the rest of the Universe, despite his most desparate efforts to insulate and protect himself, and to aggrandize himself by predatory practices.6
Crowley, A. (1997). Magick Liber ABA Book Four Parts I-IV (2nd ed.). York Beach: Samuel Weiser, Inc.
- Hubbard’s “One Word” is of course Survive, first announced in an unpublished 1938 manuscript he titled first The One Command and then Excalibur The Dark Sword, and repeated thereafter throughout his Dianetics and Scientology material. Scientology does not relate Hubbard’s research into the mind to any occult training curriculum. Although I trained extensively in Scientology, to Class IX Auditor, at no time was I taught about Hubbard’s occult background, or the true nature of his pre-Scientology “research.” ↩
- Hubbard discussed such an “experiment” in a 1952 lecture: Games/Goals. Hubbard’s “emancipation from Thought by putting each idea against its opposite” is evident at the Scientology processing levels, especially at Clear and OT II, where psychological dichotomies such as “Love/Love no-” and “Create/Create no-” are “flattened” or desensitized. ↩
- Cf. Hubbard in Dianetics: The Original Thesis, “It is a purpose of Dianetics to pass man across the abyss of irrational, solely reactive thought and enter him upon a new stage of constructive progression to the ultimate goal.” ↩
- See also: Hubbard and The Babalon Working ↩
- Entry level Scientologists learn to view the unwanted elements around the ego as “engrams” contained within the reactive mind. However, at the “confidential” levels above Clear, Scientologists come to learn that the elements are actually “body thetans,” degraded beings that require Scientology processing to eliminate by a pseudo-scientific system of exorcism. Of course, Hubbard’s “elements” were Scientologists. See also: The Admissions of L. Ron Hubbard re: “Men are your slaves. Elemental spirits are your slaves.” ↩
- Hubbard was a Black Brother who sought to thrust people into the abyss with Dianetics and Scientology, and to get Scientologists shoving more and more people into the abyss. ↩