Author: Hubbard, Mary Sue
Document title: Nanny Hat Write-up
Document date: 1972, 5 April
Document type: Flag Order
Document source: Mark Plummer
Download: Image: Page 1
Description: Sea Org parents hatting material.
FLAG ORDER 3168
5 April 1972
NANNY HAT WRITE-UP
The following is an extract from a letter from Captain Mary Sue Hubbard in reply to a request for her Nanny Hat Write-Up. This is now issued as advice for use in the Sea Org in the handling of children:
1. Maintain the schedule laid down. Young children actually do prefer order in their environment.
2. Never punish children, but do run good 8-C and good control without any lower tone scale emotions or actions.
3. Never force a child to eat; have an abundant supply of fruits rich in Vitamin C available for them to eat instead.
4. A child’s possessions are his own. Never enforce sharing if the child does not want to do so. With good 8-C, do enforce ownership if one child has taken the mest of another.
5. Never use one child as an example for good or for bad to other children.
6. Do answer a child’s questions simply and with reality. If you do not know, do not give incorrect data; but say that you do not know.
7. Treat the child as a being. Do not pretend to be infallible. If you have done something wrong, apologize. In other words, children can be right, too.
8. Do not encourage children to tell tales. If they do, ask them how they have handled the situation. Encourage them to handle their own inter-personal relationships.
9. Let a child help, but do not enforce his help.
10. Keep small children busy doing something – but do not enforce such, just have things for them to do or play with. Encourage them to create things to do or to play.
That’s about it – rather off the cuff, but the major points are there.
As approved by CS-G
for L. RON HUBBARD
Hubbard, M.S., (1972, 5 April). Nanny Hat Write-up. (Flag Order, 3168).